“Lazzaretto Nuovo” opens to visits.
14 April, 2009
The Lazzareto Nuovo as just opened (guided visits on Saturday and Sunday) to all, Venetians and tourists. The Lazzareto is one of the The abandoned islands of the Venetian lagoon and it has been restored thanks to the Ekos Club-Archeoclub d’Italia.
The island was once a convent and since 1468 it gave hospitality to the plague sufferers. Here was lately found the woman skeleton with a brick in her mouth called “the vampire woman”.
For more info: http://www.lazzarettonuovo.com/index.php?fn_lang=2eng&
From the official site:
Guided tours to Lazzaretto Nuovo, which enable the visitor to trace the historical and archaeological route of the boundary wall, and to enjoy the natural beauty of the site along the “barena”, the typical venetian sandbank, take place from April to October on Saturdays and Sundays at 9.45 am and 4.30 pm (corrispondence with Actv line 13, from Venezia – Fondamente Nuove at 9.25 am and 4.10 pm; from Treporti at 9.05 am and 4.30 pm).
That sounds interesting!